The purpose of the Oqaasiliortut – The Greenland Language Council is to collect, register and approve new Greenlandic words, forms and phrases – abbreviations included.
Furthermore, the Council has the task of giving guidance to the authorities and the public in questions related to the Greenlandic language.
The Council is further to cooperate with institutions which publishes lists on, or gives recommendations of Greenlandic names.
Furthermore, the Council has the follwowings tasks, cf. the Self Rule Government Law:
- form authoritative Greenlandic designations for import words (replacement words)
- advise, guide and inform authorities and the public about the Greenlandic language and about the use of new foreign words and names.
Members of Oqaasiliortut are appointed by Nalakkersuisut on the recommendation of:
- Nunatta Atuagaateqarfia
- Kalaallit Atuakkiortut Peqatigiiffiat
- Tusagassiuinermi Sulisut Peqatigiiffiat (TP)
- Sulinermik Inuussutissarsiuteqartut Kattuffiat (SIK) – a professional organization that includes interpreters and translators
- Mariia Simonsen (chairman)
- Karen Ramsøe (vice chaiman)
- Else Kleist
- Knud Møller
- Abia Abelsen
The members of Oqaasiliortut are appointed by the Naalakkersuisut and are appointed for periods of 4 years at a time.